Category: Accounting & Finance
San Diego, California
About the Opportunity: A growing public biotech company that is working on developing next-generation therapeutics has a Senior Accountant position open. This is a newly created role designed to respond to the increasing complexity and needs of their business. The Company places emphasis on having a casual and fun work environment and offers a full array of benefits.
- Own the financial close process (ME, QE, YE), including the development of processes and procedures to ensure completeness, timeliness, and accuracy in financial reporting.
- Review of all critical ME close reconciliations and related journal entries, including clinical and preclinical accruals, revenue recognition, and stock compensation.
- Supervise and support all direct reports and other staff in the following areas: general accounting, payroll, compliance, and accounts payable.
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems while also establishing and maintaining internal controls and disclosure controls for compliance with Section 302 and Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Support the preparation of required quarterly financial statement disclosures and other SEC filings (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, Proxy, etc.).
- Stay up to date on FASB pronouncements, SEC rules, and regulatory compliance issues that impact the company.
- Implement accounting policies that conform to GAAP and SEC rules as appropriate.
- Oversee federal, state, and local tax return preparation as well as tax provision.
- Work with external auditors on quarterly reviews, annual audits, and Sarbanes-Oxley testing and compliance.
- Assist by providing support for Audit Committee and Board presentations.
- Help improve accounting processes and systems to obtain operational efficiencies and produce accurate and timely financial information.
- Develop working relationships with other departmental managers.
- Maintain a basic understanding of the company’s science.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- 8 to 10 years of accounting experience.
- Public biotech/pharmaceutical company experience.
- Knowledge of GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience with SOX 404, clinical trial accounting, stock-based compensation, and revenue recognition.
- Demonstrated success in leading a team and providing mentorship.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent decision-making, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, scientific-oriented environment.
- Public accounting experience
- Systems implementation experience
- Expertise and applicable experience with revenue recognition (ASC 606 and ASC 808)
About Sayva: Sayva Solutions is an accounting, finance, and technology professional services firm whose focus is on long term relationships created through teamwork and doing what is in the best interest of others. By working with Sayva to identify your next career move, you will get the benefit of working with an experienced team who not only has a strong network of trusted clients, but expertise in the markets, and functions, we serve. We can provide insight on what your market value is, what companies have to offer, and what opportunities align best with your professional and personal goals. We are your trusted advisor throughout your search process and can help ensure you are prepared for interviews, have the information to make the best decisions, and receive a strong offer to land you that perfect job. Making a career move is not easy and can be stressful; Sayva can be your partner in making the process smooth, transparent, and rewarding.
Interested in learning more? Please don’t hesitate to visit our website www.sayvasolutions.com for more information. If you are already working with a Sayva team member, contact them directly and they will be happy to discuss this opportunity in more detail.